With just a hint of chilli, this is the perfect winter warmer. It’s easy on the wallet and the waist line and even reheats well for tomorrow’s lunch
By Cassie Heneghan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2cm piece ginger, minced
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, ground
- 1 tsp flaked salt
- 1 birds eye chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 x kaffir lime leaf
- 3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp moist shredded coconut
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 x bunch coriander, roughly chopped, to serve
- juice of 1 lime, to serve
1. Using a 2 litre saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat and then add the onion, garlic and ginger and saute for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the spices and lime leaf and stir through, constantly for 2 minutes.
2. Add the lentils, coconut and stock and allow to simmer over low, stirring every 3 minutes, until all of the liquid has been absorbed and the lentils are cooked. Approximately 20 minutes.
3. Stir through the coconut milk and serve into bowls. Top with coriander and lime juice.